Monday, December 10, 2012

# 38 Place in a Photo Contest

My winning photo! Foxy Loxy.

I love photography. I bought my first Nikon film camera when I was 22. I barely knew how to use it and pretty much ended up taking snap shots as opposed to creating any kind of photographs but it still made me happy.  When I was 24 I upgraded, going digital with a Nikon D80. Since then it has become a passion of mine. In the last two years or so my mother has also taken up an interest in photography and for fun we signed up to take a photo expedition tour with Dan's Camera City located in Allentown, Pa. The day trip was to the Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia, NJ.


About 30 people attended the trip which was run in conjunction with Tamron lenses. The preserve allows people on the trip to get much closer to the animals than a normal paying visitor could get. Two Tamron reps also attend the trip and let you borrow a wide array of lenses you might otherwise never get to try. It's a pretty cool deal. The trip also sponsors a photo contest with the winning photo recieveing a brand spanking new 70-300mm Tamron lens.


Foxy Loxey

The trip was a blast and I loved the time I got to spend with my mom but I have to admit part of the expedition was a bit intimidating. I'd say 80% of the people who attended were hard core. They had thousands of dollars of gear and big money lenses. Not to say that I don't have a nice setup but it sure didn't compare to some of the folks in attendance. Mainly because of this I never had any intentions of entering a photo but my mom wore me down like a river rock and two days before the deadline I finally sent in two photos. 


On December 13th I got the email that I won the contest! I couldn't believe it. About two weeks later my new swank lens showed up and #38 officially went into the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment